Friday, September 30, 2005

Friday Random 10 #7: Random Acts of Blindness

Let's see what the deus ex machina that I call Random has in store for us today. For it is friday and we must honor her with this sacrifice. Today, I believe she did a heck of a job and I offer many kudos to her...

1. Bullet to Blue Sky (Live) by U2 (Rattle and Humm)

“…cross the field you see the sky ripped open, see the rain through a gaping wound pounding on the women and children who run into the arms of America.”


2. A Long December by The Counting Crows (Recovering the Satellites)

“…I guess the winter makes you laugh a little slower, makes you talk a little lower about the things you could not show her…”

3. Wake Up Time by Tom Petty (Wildflowers)

“You follow your feelings, you follow your dreams. You follow the leader into the trees…”

4. Ramshackle by Beck (Odelay)

“Praises get spent. Your trick face is bent, pigsties and prizes, 'cause there's no kind of wealth…”

5. Porpoise Mouth by Camper Van Beethoven (Camper Vantiquities)

“…I whistle symphonies of your face and laugh for your hair is so fine…”

6. Breathe Deep by The Lost Dogs (Scenic Routes)

“…Gays and lesbians, demagogues and thespians, the disabled, preachers, doctors and teachers, meat eaters, wife beaters, judges and juries…”

"...breathe deep the breath of God..."

7. Tales O’ Twister by Chagall Guevara (Pump Up the Volume Soundtrack)

“…I stole a sideways glance at her continental shelf and I know she was the devil himself…”

“…she said, "You could be the envy of everyone you envy…"

“…After sleeping with the devil you'd love to close the book but you gotta wonder how the baby's gonna look…” (Great, great line…)

Hey, it’s Steve. This whole song is full of great lines.

8. Where The River Flows by Collective Soul (Collective Soul)

“...don’t feed me sorrow, pain is the poison I digest…”

9. Strobe by Adam Again (Perfecta)

“…say here’s two nickles, can you give me a quarter?”

10. Freight Train To Nowhere by Vigilantes of Love (Strong Hand of Love)

“…If she could put her hand on the brake of the land, find the treason in the diesel and the smoke, she would jar the teeth of the dull and the meek and feed them the truth until they choke.”

Well, as for today's title, there are two reasons why I named it that. Firstly, I didn't have the mental capacity to think up anything clever which actually would be applicable to the song choices, and secondly, I reread Wyndham's The Day of the Triffids last night. So you could say I had blindness on my mind.

Maybe, just Maybe, the greatest song to hear live in the history of music: #1. There's a reason there is so many live versions of this song avaivable.

Bands I've seen live: 1, 6, 8, 9, 10. 50% ain't to bad, I guess.

Looking for more Friday Randomizations? Check out Howard.

And those who don't care about my playlist, but just want to increase there own, check out these free MP3's from Ooklah the Mok, many of which are quite good.

3 comments:

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

Reading this list makes me incredibly jealous - how am I gonna get all those great cds? And what the heck is Strong Hand of Love?

Bob said...

Strong Hand off Love is a Mark Heard Tribute Album, made after he died. There are a lot of great songs and artists, notably Vigilantes of Love, Buddy and Julie Miller, Bruce Cockburn, Rich Mullins, Pierce Pettis, The Choir and many more.

Frieght Train to Nowhere is a notable song, becuase it's so quite different from most of what you would here from Bill & Co. It's sort of modern rockish, distorted and a bit of funk. It's quite good. Also, Chagall Guevara's last recorded song, Heard's "Treasure in a Broken Land" appears on this album.

You can look it up on Amazon and other online sellers.

Anonymous said...

Loved "Bullet the Blue Sky" since my mis-spent youth. There was a time when hearing live versions of songs like that made me think every song should have a monologue tucked inside it...