Friday, September 23, 2005

Friday Random 10 #6: The Quick and Dirty Edition

Not a lot of time today, so I'll just get right to the music and add stuff later: Happy Friday all.

1. Rain King by Counting Crows

“…Lay me down in a field of flame and heather, render up my body into the burning heart of God In the belly of a black-winged bird…”

2. The Lust, the Flesh, the Eyes by The 77

“…Makes me think I'll live forever, never knowing that they probably won't remember what they said tomorrow. Tomorrow I could be dead.”

3. Inner City Blues (Makes Me Wanna Holler) by Adam Again

“Hang ups, let downs. Bad breaks, set backs. Natural fact is I can't pay my taxes…”

4. Tina by Camper Van Beethoven

“…I know cant wait 2 see my name in lights no ones going stop me you'll see…”

5. 'Till There Was You by The Beatles

“..Then there was music and wonderful roses. They tell me in in sweet fragrant meadows
of dawn and dew…”

6. Babylon by Steve Taylor

“She bewitched with a Siren's cry. She beckoned, "Come and learn" Is there no return?”

7. If You Wear That Velvet Dress by U2

“Tonight the moon has drawn its curtains. It's a private show. No one else gonna to know.”

8. I Always Do by Phil Keagy

“I hit the floor, suggest we move our feet. Good mood is painted on our fleeting best.”

9. Ordinary by The Galactic Cowboys

“…if love is free and substitution, pain is bearable and momentary…”

10. Hung Up and Over Due by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

“She said she's going to move to California one day. Said she's going out on safari to stay…”

Favorite Song: 3. This is of course a cover of a Marvin Gaye song, and a perfect song for Gene's voice.

Song in which the Lyrics don't appear: 4. The lyrics that I have listed are the "official" lyrics to the sone, even though they at no time appear in the song. The song is basicly just one of CVB's punky/middle easterny/swingy musicals with one repeated line. Fans have actually argued about what that line really is, but it basically sounds like "Tina single-L Robitaile, uh, whacha, whacha, whacha."

Song By A Great Band That Does Nothing For Me: 7. Beautiful lyrics, but beyond that nothing... but of course it's from Pop, so what do you expect.

The Other Cover: 8. Keaggy singing Mark Heard. Strong Hand of Love is such a great album, and I never was a huge Mark Heard Fan before he died.

3 comments:

Kimberly Cangelosi said...

"The Lust, the Flesh, the Eyes..." was a 77s song? It's one of my favorite songs on the Smalltown Poets album, Third Verse, and I never realized it was a cover!

Anonymous said...

Wow, really Kim? That's one of the all-timers, at least in my humble opinion. Another cover worth hearing is on the Lost Dogs more recent album Mutt. (Bob, do you have that one?)

Anonymous said...

That was supposed to say Mutt -- for some reason the code got screwy on me there...